Here is a recipe for a classic apple pie:
- 2 pie crusts (store-bought or homemade)
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (about 6 medium apples)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
Calories and Fat: The calorie and fat content of this apple pie recipe will depend on the specific ingredients used, including the type of pie crust and the size and variety of the apples. A standard slice of apple pie made with a traditional pie crust (top and bottom) contains around 300-400 calories and 15-20 grams of fat.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out one of the pie crusts and use it to line a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sliced apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes to release some of the juices.
- Pour the apple mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and sprinkle them over the top of the apple mixture.
- Roll out the second pie crust and use it to cover the top of the pie. Cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash.
- Bake the pie for 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the pie cool completely before serving.
Total Time: The total time for this apple pie recipe is around 1 hour and 15 minutes, including preparation and baking time. However, the pie will need to cool completely before serving, which could take another 1-2 hours.